spoon

Recent Recipes

Chocolate Cherry Cake

2

Category : ,

The moment I saw this recipe I knew I had to make it.
Chocolate (my favorite), cherries (always a favorite), cake (makes everyone happy)!

I didn't have any fresh cherries as they are not quite in season, and the ones you can get are so overpriced! I didn't have any frozen ones on hand either but I did have some canned cherries.
I should have soaked them in sugar as they were a bit sour in the cake. The cake was still fantastic though, although I will make it with fresh or frozen cherries next time.
I chose to serve mine with ice-cream and some of the spare canned cherries.... delicious!

Chocolate Cherry Cake
BBC Australian Good Food magazine

100g good quality dark chocolate, chopped
1 cup (220g) brown sugar
1/2 cup (50g) cocoa powder
1/2 cup (125ml) boiling water
2 egg yolks
2/3 cup (100g) wholemeal flour
4 eggwhites
2.5 cups (310g) pitted fresh or frozen cherries, plus extra to serve
1 apple, grated
icing sugar, to dust

1. Preheat oven to 180C or 160C fan. Line base and sides of a 20cm square pan with baking paper.

2. Place chocolate, sugar, cocoa and boiling water in a bowl. Stir, set aside for 2 mins, then stir again until smooth. Whisk in egg yolks, then fold in flour.

3. Beat eggwhites with an electric mixer until firm peaks form. Fold through chocolate mixture. Fold in pitted cherries and apple. Spoon into prepared pan. Bake for 35 mins, until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Cool in pan. Cut into squares, comes out clean. Cool in pan. Cut into squares, dust with icing sugar and serve with extra cherries.

Serves 10.

Voila! Bon Appétit!

2 comments:

Not a fan of cherries, HOWEVER if there is chocolate and cake involved I may very easily be persuaded.

Looks yum!

not a fan of cherries! *gasps*
hehe, if it's got chocolate it must be good =P

All images and text is property of Iron Chef Shellie. These reviews are based on my opinions and experiences.
Permission must be granted before using any images or text from this website.

Feel free to contact me:
ironchefshellie [at] gmail [dot] com