spoon

Recent Recipes

Souvlaki Wraps with Beetroot Tzatziki

0

Category : ,

Mid-week cooking took a Greek influence this week. It was my first attempt at Greek food, and I know how much my boy loves a souvlaki, so I thought I'd give this recipe a go.

I had a few issues with the meat not staying on the stick when I was cooking it, so I ended up mixing a egg through the skewer meat I hadn't cooked yet to help bind the ingredients together, and it worked.

Whilst it isn't like any souvlaki you'd get at a souvlaki van/shop, it is still very nice! The tzatziki is the key ingredient and flavour in any souv, so the added flavour of beetroot gives a nice refreshing flavour.
The boy really enjoyed it, and so did the rest of the family. This one is a keeper!

Souvlaki Wraps with Beetroot Tzatziki
Original Recipe by Angela Boggiano; with alterations by Iron Chef Shellie

500g lamb mince
100g feta, crumbled
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
Large handful of parsley finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 egg, lightly beaten
Sunflower oil to brush
Lebanese bread, sliced red onion, lettuce and tomato to serve
Black Swan beetroot tzatziki dip

1. Soak 8 wooden skewers in cold water for 30 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, place the lamb, feta, onion, garlic, parsley, cumin, egg in a large bowl. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, then mix together with your hands until well combined. Cover and chill for 20 minutes.

3. Using wet hands, shape lamb mixture around the skewers. Brush with the oil. Cook over a preheated, oiled char grilled pan in two batches.

4. Serve the souvlaki skewers with Lebanese bread, red onion and lettuce. Garnish with extra parsley and a dollop of beetroot tzatziki.

Voila! Bon Appétit!

0 comments:

All images and text is property of Iron Chef Shellie. These reviews are based on my opinions and experiences.
Permission must be granted before using any images or text from this website.

Feel free to contact me:
ironchefshellie [at] gmail [dot] com