spoon

Recent Recipes

Green and Blacks Chocolate Brazil Soft-Baked Cookies

3

Category : , ,

I thought I’d better try one of the recipes Emma sent to me with the Green & Black's chocolate. It was either this recipe of the white and dark chocolate mousse; but considering I didn’t have any white chocolate, cookies it was. 

I didn’t have any wholemeal self raising flour, so I just used the standard self-raising stuff and it worked out fine. The bran apparently gives a distinctive flavour and texture to the cookies, so maybe I’ll have to try again when I get my hands on some.
I’m not usually crazy about Brazil nuts. When I have a bag of mixed nuts, these are the nuts I generally avoid. But teamed with Green & Black's chocolate, I rather fancied them. It’s great to have these cookies after they have cooled slightly, as the chocolate is still soft and gooey. 

Turns out I actually used the Maya Gold chocolate with the orange and spices instead of the dark 70%. It turned out great, giving the cookies a nice extra depth of flavour. I'd definitely say that Green & Black's is a great chocolate for cooking with. I'll be trying it more for recipes where I like to use quality chocolate instead of Lindt.  


Chocolate Brazil Soft-Baked Cookies

Get your hands on:
75g unsalted butter, softened
60g caster sugar
1 large egg, beaten
175g wholemeal self-raising flour
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ tablespoon milk
75g dark chocolate, minimum 60% cocoa solids, roughly chopped
75g milk chocolate, preferably 34% cocoa solids, roughly chopped
50g Brazil nuts, chopped
Pinch of salt

Serve it with:
Hot cuppa tea or coffee

1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a tray with non-stick baking paper.

2. Cream together the butter and sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg. Sift the flour once, returning the bran to the sifted flour, then fold into the mixture.. Beat well, adding the vanilla extra and sufficient milk to make a pliable dough. Mix it with your hands, adding the milk in stages until the dough is fairly soft, but not sticky. Add the chopped chocolate, nuts and salt and distribute evenly through the dough. Roll out onto a lightly floured board to a thickness of about 5mm. Stamp into rounds and place the cookies, spaced well apart, on the lined baking tray.

3. Bake in the centre of the oven for about 20 minutes. Watch them carefully so they don’t overcook. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on the baking tray for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. 

Makes 20.


3 comments:

I love Green & Black's esp for their milk chocolate as it's one of the few milk chocolates that I like!

I usually don't touch the brazilian nuts either, until it gets to the very end and I have no choice ;) hehe. These cookies look adorable :)

Having overdosed on Lindt chocolate, I'm so glad to hear the Green & Black's bakes really well. Can't wait to try!

All images and text is property of Iron Chef Shellie. These reviews are based on my opinions and experiences.
Permission must be granted before using any images or text from this website.

Feel free to contact me:
ironchefshellie [at] gmail [dot] com