spoon

Recent Recipes

Week 16 - The Cookbook Challenge: Chow Mein

16

Category : ,

 Week 16
Theme: Noodles
Cookbook Used: 1000 Best Ever Recipes from AWW
Author: The Australian Women's Weekly

I love noodles. I thought I'd be more inspired to make noodles this week; but after flicking through about 8 cookbooks, I was struggling to find something I really wanted to make.
I hoped the answer was in the AWW 1000 recipes book; and it was!

Even though the recipe seemed rather westernized, it sounded fairly easy and quick for an after work meal.
I used Asian mushrooms as the recipe didn't state what kind of mushrooms to use. I also left out the celery as it turns out we didn't have any in the fridge. I'm glad though, I don't think it would have been as nice if I included it.  
Mum and I were a little hesitant about the recipe with curry powder, and frozen peas, etc, but we were both pleasantly surprised. It was a tasty dish with simple flavours. I would definitely make it again!


Chow Mein
The Australian Women's Weekly

Get your hands on:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
500g lean beef mince
1 medium brown onion (150g), chopped finely
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 large carrot (180g), chopped finely
2 trimmed celery stalks (200g), sliced thinly
150g mushrooms, sliced thinly
1 cup (250ml) chicken stock
1/3 cup (80ml) oyster sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
450g fresh thin egg noodles
1/2 cup (60g) frozen peas
1/2 cup (55g) frozen sliced green beans
1/2 small wombok (400g), shredded coarsely


1. Heat oil in wok; stir-fry mince, onion and garlic until mince is changed in colour. Add curry powder; stir-fry until fragrant. Add carrot, celery and mushrooms; stir-fry until vegetables soften.


2. Add stock, sauces and noodles, stir-fry gently until combined; bring to the boil. Add peas, beans and wombok, reduce head; simmer, uncovered, tossing occasionally for about 5 minutes or until vegetables are just soft.


Serves 4.

16 comments:

Chow mein has to be up there with bolognese as one of my favourite comfort foods.

Just wondering if cattor (in Step 1) is just a fancy name for carrot? :)

We have our residence version chow mien. Quick, easy and delicious.

Ahh AWW. They may westernise dishes too much, but you can normally rely on them to come up with a decent end product ;)

Looks like a great midweek meal!

It's funny you mention about balking a little at the recipe's use of curry powder - just the other day I was thinking about how the only recipe I've ever used curry powder in is kedgeree, which led me to think i should probably clean out the spice cabinet once I get home! :D

Your chow mein looks authentically yellow, definitely have to give it that! :)

I love a quick tasty noodle dish for a quick mid week meal. well done on yours.

What a awesome 'Chow mein ' recipe Shellie, Lovely pics, and taste tempting, I have a 'Chow mein ' feeling coming on?......Yom. :)
Hugs.x :-)

I often add curry powder when I'm stir frying noodles. It's yum! Never peas though, but that's my pea hatred coming through.

Love noodles and this look like a delicious meal. The curry powder gives it a little zing as well!

I love chow mein - although I havent made it in years. I like curry powder in things - add it to burger mixture for a bit of spice!

Chow Mein is such a wonderful comfort food. I like!

Hi Jo - AH yes! Bolognese ....mmmmm =) thanks.. yes it's carrot I better fix that :P

Hi Penny - ooooo, i'll be around soon then :P

Hi Conor - it's so true. They always have a good recipe! I'm trying another tonight in fact!

Hi Hannah - HAHA! Thanks =)

Hi Cherry Pie - Me too, thank you =)

Hi Jeanne - Thanks darling! haha too funny!

Hi Agnes - I might have to do that too! What did peas ever do to you? :P

Hi Jo - I love noodles too. I will be using curry powder a little more I think!

Hi I'm A Sugar Junkie - Oh that's a good idea! thanks!

Hi Ellie - I have just discovered it and yes! I agree!

yummy. love noodles too!
its probably the kind of food thats hard to get sick of.

cette assiette est parfumée, colorée et doit être très savoureuse
bonne soirée

I just made this for dinner, Shel. Was really tasty.

x

Noodles always have a long list of ingredients to make it look scary, but it is actually easy to make. Your noodles sound delish!

Hi Muffins Are Ugly Cupcakes - Ohhhh soooo true!

Hi Fimere - merci

Hi Katie - Ah awesome! I'm glad it turned out well :)

Hi Rilsta - So true. Thanks!

All images and text is property of Iron Chef Shellie. These reviews are based on my opinions and experiences.
Permission must be granted before using any images or text from this website.

Feel free to contact me:
ironchefshellie [at] gmail [dot] com