spoon

Recent Recipes

Baked Meatballs with Tomatoes

14

Category : , , , ,



The frequent readers of this blog are aware of 3 things I ❤; chocolate, ribs and meatballs. 
I have been starting to sort through my cookbooks as I meal plan what we are going to eat for the week. I have come across MANY meatball recipes that stop me in my tracks. I was even pondering the idea of doing a "Meatball Monday" segment on this blog, but I'm not sure if I can commit to meatballs once a week... I also have a love of noodles and other dishes that I need to help mix it up a bit. 


I was tossing up which Bill Granger meatball recipe to make this week. They sounded similar, but this one included spices like paprika and cumin...so it won on this occasion. You don't serve these particular meatballs with pasta. I couldn't really imagine eating them with pasta. The recipe suggests Bill's roasted chilli potatoes, but I couldn't really be bothered; so I finished off a bag of chips we had in the freezer that we had left over from steak night.


So what did they taste like?
Surprisingly they had a Mexican flavour to them. Nice and juicy, I wasn't too sure how big to make them, so they ended up being quite big. Hamsley had trouble putting his finger on the flavour, but towards the end of eating, he blurted out "They taste like burritos!!!". 
I wouldn't hesitate making these again. They would even be good as fingerfood at a party.


Baked Meatballs with Tomatoes
Bill Granger

500g minced beef or pork and veal
1 small onion
55g fresh white breadcrumbs
3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander leaves
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
2 red chillies, finely chopped
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon sugar

Serve with:
Roast potatoes

1. Preheat the oven to 220°C (425
°F/Gas 7).

2. Combine the meat, onion, breadcrumbs, parsley, coriander, egg, cumin, paprika, half of the chilli and plenty of salt and pepper in a large bowl. Mix gently with your hands, then shape into small balls.

3. Toss the meatballs gently in the oil in a roasting tin and bake for 10-15 minutes. Transfer them to a fry pan over medium heat and add the tomatoes, sugar, remaining chilli and some more salt and pepper. Stir the meatballs carefully to coat and then simmer for 20 minutes. 

Serve with roast potatoes.

Serves 4-6.



14 comments:

great looking meat balls. I guess cumin and coriander give that distinctive Mexican taste. I think I could easily sit down to a tray of these.

Oooh yum! These look delicious! Going by what you said, my mumma would LOVE these

I had meatballs this week too! They are always a big hit with me.

Great looking meatballs. Perhaps you could try serving them in warmed pita/tortilla with some salad and grated cheese! Then it's really a burrito. :) The addition of coriander, cumin and paprika sounds really nice.

Oooh they look delicious...just the thing for a frosty winter night...yummmmy

nice!
thinking that these might be nice with sour cream and gauc and corn bread?
hmm.
i love meatballs but i've never made them myself. i can't justify the time to do it after a long day when a plate of mince kinda tastes the same. right? haha.

Cumin, paparika, coriander and chilli always put me in mind of mexican too :) These look scrumptious - I can't remember the last time I made meatballs!

I am definitely going to give these ago! The last batch of meatballs I made were awful so I'm looking for a good recipe, and I love burritos. Do you think you could mix beef and pork mince, or would that be weird?

Aw, yummy dish and gorgeous pictures. I can feel the steam from the freshly cooked meatballs.

Looks great Shellie. I love Bill's bake meatballs with tomato & tamarind sauce.

http://adeliciousyear.blogspot.com/2010/04/april-2009.html

Meatballs are good! And yours seems mighty yummy. I don't make meatballs enough. However, I do make heaps of noodles!

Hi Mark - Thanks, I would have a tray of them again too :)

Hi Kristy - Well if you make them for her, I hope she likes them!

Hi Penny - Yay, another meatball fan =D

Hi Steph - Thanks, yes I think serving them in a tortilla is a fantastic idea! Great suggestion =D

Hi Food We Love - Thanks, winter night food indeed!

Hi Hollypop - Oh man, sour cream, guac and corn bread would go FANTASTICALLY well with these. I'm going to try that next time.
hehe plate of mince does taste the same, it's just more fun in ball form!

Hi Hannah - Thanks! You need more meatballs in your life :P

Hi Briony - Yes,hopefully they will taste better than those one with biscuits! I'm sure beef and pork will be fine =D

Hi Christine - Thanks =D I had Hamsley fanning the steam so I could get a good shot!

Hi Katren - Thanks! I'll have to try that recipe, thanks for the link!

Hi Celeste - I couldn't agree more! And there is nothing wrong with lots of noodles either!

Burritos meatballs sounds awesome. I am seconding the addition of guac to this meal! Great photos too :)

Meatball Monday you say? You could always do this but alternate it with Meatfree Monday ;)

Maybe you should do a Monthly Meatball Monday segment? :) Your readers need more meatball posts!

All images and text is property of Iron Chef Shellie. These reviews are based on my opinions and experiences.
Permission must be granted before using any images or text from this website.

Feel free to contact me:
ironchefshellie [at] gmail [dot] com