spoon

Recent Recipes

International Incident Party - Scones

25

Category : ,



I've jumped on the International Incident Party bandwagon started up by Penny from Jeroxie, Anh from A Food Lover's Journey and Cherrie of Sweet Cherrie Pie.

I decided to keep things simple and learn my mother's never fail recipe for lemonade scones. After a disastrous scone attempt 2 years ago with Miss A, I don't believe I've tried making them again. Mainly because there are 50,000 other things I've wanted to try instead. So the scone party was a perfect excuse to learn from my favourite cook, mother dearest.


There are only 3 ingredients you need to make amazing scones. We added dehydrated blueberries to most of the mix after making a few plain ones. They add nice pockets of flavour and juiciness you don't get with plain scones.


The results? Amazing fluffy scones that never fail! The lemonade helps to make them light, and the cream is a great substitute for butter and milk. Minimal ingredients make them perfect to make when you have last minute guest coming over too.



Lemonade Scones

4 cups self-raising flour, sifted
300ml cream
300ml lemonade

1. Preheat oven to 200°C.

2. Sift flour into a large bowl, add cream and lemonade.


3. Mix together with 2 knives, until combined.


4. Pat onto a well floured board, cut with floured scone cutter and place on baking tray.


5. Bake for 10-12 minutes.

6. Cool on trays, serve with jam and lashing of whipped cream.



Check out what the other bloggers got up to:




25 comments:

Terrific scones! I am very intrigued by the lemonade as a secret ingredient, must try this!

These look so good! I haven't had scones in what seems like forever!

Wow! I'm amazed by how easy this is to make. Light and fluffy scones are notoriously difficult. Looks like you're onto a winner here.

I very much do want to try these lemonade scones, because they feel safer to me than the rubbing-butter kind, and yet I know my housemate will sniff haughtily at me if I do. (She's a scone purist.)

Here's what I've been wondering, though. Could you make this with other soft drinks? Like raspberry soda, or lemon lime and bitters, or ginger beer? Hmm...

The humble scone is such a simple thing, yet simple things can be the hardest to get right sometimes. But these look absolutely wonderful!

YAY lemonade scones! They are so good and so easy to make - I'm a big fan of them now :)

I think I am a big fan now... 3 ingredients. How can I fail right?

Ok, I was aiming for light fluffy scones too and kinda sorta made them. But these look incredible - bookmarked for me to try out SOON! And who would have thought? Lemonade???

Just 3 ingredients and they turned out this incredibly? Wow, this is something that nobody ever taught me! Now, I can't wait to experiment with root beer, orangeade.....

I love how simple this recipe is! i think the addition of fruit was a great idea

They are fluffy! Looks so good with the jam. I will have to try making "real" scones one of these days, as I sort of went an easier route for this incident!

I am so amazed by these lemonade scones!!! I MUST try them...they sound so simple and fabulous =)

I would have never thought to put lemonade in a scone dough, just a bit of lemon juice! These came out beautiful and I can imagine the lemony flavor with a great jam :D

What beautiful simplicity! The addition of dried blueberries is delightful as well.

Lemonade and blueberry! That's cool!

I use this same lemonade scone recipe!!! I admit, I turned up my nose at it at first, but one of the ladies at work put her stamp on it so I decided I should give it a go... and have used it ever since! Looove the look of your scones and jam and cream...

I am a lemonade scone convert too! Mine were always duds until I made this recipe. Ooooh I could go some right now!

I have a recipe of pie crust with lemonade and it makes a great pastry so why not with scones...I'm a scones addict and your recipe is mine!!!!! is it 300ml of cream or 800ml?? I guess 300 but can't read very well

A 3 ingredient baking recipe? I beyond love this. With lemonade? wow, great job!

THey look perfect Shellie! Always exciting to see such simple recipes turn out so very well. I like the use of the wavy (corrugated? bumpy? what's the proper term?) cutter to give the pretty sides.

Mother dearest is so often handy with these things.

Does it matter if the lemonade is carbonated? Looking forward to trying these for my hubby!

I have never seen scones made this way. How interesting. Lemonade as an ingrediant.....Hmmmmm! Cant wait to see the result of this. Looks Delicious. And you are serving it with my favourite Raspberry jam.. YUMM!

Whoa, I can't believe how simple this recipe is! Gotta try baking this with my kids, they'd have fun making these.

I think you should clarify for the non-Australians that the "lemonade" used in this recipe is more like Sprite or 7-Up in the US, than what Americans think of as lemonade.

I have made this recipe many times and found that you can easily substitute other soft drinks for the lemonade. So far I have used coke, soda water and snow top. It doesn't affect the flavour at all - I don't know why but it works.

All images and text is property of Iron Chef Shellie. These reviews are based on my opinions and experiences.
Permission must be granted before using any images or text from this website.

Feel free to contact me:
ironchefshellie [at] gmail [dot] com