spoon

Recent Recipes

Happy 2nd Birthday with a Raspberry Hazelnut Cake

33

Category :

I made you this cake to celebrate!

Iron Chef Shellie turns 2 today!

And because I am an absolute idiot...or the interweb/computer is, I lost the first draft of this post, and I'm having to type it for the 2nd time. It only seems fitting doesn't it.

*sigh*
It doesn't help that I've left half my files and the recipe at another location, and I'm having to get Dad to send them through to me, whilst rummaging through my things (thanks Dad and Mum for you help!!)

Alot has happened in 2 years. When I first started the blog, I didn't know what I wanted to do with it, or where it would take me. All I knew is, I wanted to learn how to cook; and sharing with people just made it more exciting. Since then I've met many celebrity chefs that inspire me, have received many products to sample and review, and made a few friends along the way. (Looking forward to meeting you Conor on Thursday!)

Learning more and more about food has thought me to appreciate new flavours. I rediscovered that mushrooms aren't as bad as I thought they were, olives can be quite alright if you chop them up into tiny tiny pieces and mix them with the right ingreidents, and that people will love you for life if you feed them something nice.

Cakes, muffins and cookies are ALWAYS better homemade. Homemade means mixing everything from scratch, not opening a box of Betty Crocker's finest creations.... no offence Betty, but your muffins were delicious only when I didn't know any better.

Anyways, this cake is really quite delicious if I may say so myself. But you know, anything with hazelnuts is bound to be delicious; nutella, fererro rocher, frangelico, hazelnuts.... the list goes on. The cake is very moist, most likely thanks to the sour cream, and the juicy raspberries. Perfect for an afternoon tea on a lazy Sunday afternoon.


Raspberry Hazelnut Cake
Australian Women's Weekly

Get your hands on:
250g butter, softened
2 cups (440g) caster sugar
6 eggs
1 cup (150g) plain flour
1/2 cup (75g) self-raising flour
1 cup (110g) hazelnut meal
2/3 cup (160g) sour cream
300g fresh or frozen raspberries


Serve it with: Mascarpone Cream
1 cup (250g) mascarpone
1/4 cupe (40g) icing sugar
2 tablespoons hazelnut-flavoured liquer (Frangelico)
1/2 cup (120g) sour cream
1/2 cup (70g) roasted hazelnuts, chopped finely


1. Preheat oven to moderate (180°C / 160°C fan-forced). Grease deep 22cm-round cake pan; line base and side with baking paper.


2. Beat butter and sugar in medium bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy; add eggs, one at a time, beating until just combined between additions. (Mixture will curdle at this stage, but will come together later.)


3. Transfer mixture to large bowl; stir in sifted flours, hazelnut meal, sour cream and raspberries. Spread mixture into pan.


4. Bake about 1.5 hours. Stand cake in pan for 10 minutes; turn, top-side up, onto wire rack to cool.


5. Meanwhile, make mascarpone cream: combine mascarpone, icing sugar, liqueur and sour cream in medium bowl. Stir until smooth; stir in nuts.


6. Place cold cake on serving plate. Spread cake all over with mascarpone cream.


Tip: If using frozen raspberries, don't thaw them; frozen berries are less likely to "bleed" into the cake mixture.


Serves 12.

33 comments:

Congratulations.
May your souffles continue to rise and you cakes be sweet.
-Nerdy-

Happy birthday to Iron Chef Shellie! Yay for achieving many milestones and may you cruise effortlessly through your 'terrible twos' =p Looking forward to many more brilliant creations.

this looks scrumptious with the rapsberries :: and happy bloganniversary Pierre

' Happy Birthday ' Shellie for a successful 2nd year ! You certainly have excelled at choosing to learn the finer details of how 'Wonderful' Home-cooked food can taste. I have seen some wonderful cook-ups on you site, it amazes me to know just how talented you are in just seeing the end results in the pics of the many recipes you have turned out. ' Congratulations ' and, a 'BIG' Welcome into a new start for year (3) and all the ' Very Best ' for all of your taste tempting delights to come.
Hugs xox :-)

Happy Blog Bday! :)

Aww YAY congratulations Shellie! Happy 2nd birthday and may there be many more :D xxx

Happy Blog Birthday! This looks so yummy, I think I'll be making it very soon.

Happy Birthday ICS!!!

Happy blog birthday! This looks so deliciously dense and moist - and I'm such a sucker for raspberry desserts!

Looking forward to the next year :)

Happy bloggy day! And I am glad to have met you as well. And looking forward to Thursday! :)

Happy 2nd birthday, and looking forward to seeing what you come u with this year! Leigh

Happy 2nd blog birthday!! I love the purple backdrop :) It makes the picture stand out!

Happy blog birthday!!! Hooray!!! The blog just keeps getting better and better, you should be very proud of your baby. And I'm so looking forward to Thursday too :D

cant believe its been 2 years already .. i still remember you coding the website at work

congrats on the 2nd year & keep up the delicious work!

i need to buy some white & black cardboard for photo background .. lol

ur purple bg looks good

Happy Blog birthday!

Here's to many more years of great eats!

xox Sarah

Happy 2nd birthday Shellie. Hope you have plenty more fabulous blog birthdays to come.

Happy 2nd blog birthday!! You've come such a long way and enjoyed so many nice food experiences along the way! Here's to many more delicious adventures! :)

Hi Nerdy Rob - lol, thanks =)

Hi Mademoiselle Délicieuse - Thanks! Me too =)

Hi Pierre - Thank you very much =)

Hi Jeanne - Thank you! Looking forward to another delicious year =)

Hi Fiona - Thanking you!

Hi Jackie - Many thanks!

Hi Lorraine - Thank you! I hope there will be!

Hi Kyla - Thanks babe =D Hope yours turns out delicious!

Hi BuBbles - Thank you!!

Hi Hannah - Thank you! It was sooooo good. I don't think there is any left!

Hi Penny - Thank you! Looking forward to catching up too =)

Hi ChitChatChomp - Thank you! Me too :P

Hi Ellie - Thank you! It does make the cake 'pop' :)

Hi Conor - Thank you hun! I am proud of my bloggy baby :P See ya Thursday =D

Hi Victor - Haha, yes I remember those days, and getting very frustrated! Thanks =D

Hi Sarah - Thank you! *cheers*

Hi A Cupcake Or Two - Thank you! I hope so too =)

Hi Rilsta - Thank you! I would have to agree, a lot can happen in 2 years! *cheers*

Happy blogversary! :-)

I am so making that cake. It looks amazing :-D

Happy 2nd birthday to you!!! The cake looks divine!!

Woah first timer here and that brithday cake looks like a million dollars!!!! I love the whole mascarpone cream business and I bet the raspberries add that extra sweet tang! Happy 2nd bday!!!

happy birthday!!
have loved following all your delicious recipes and adventures :)
em xx

Nice work on the backdrop! Happy 2nd Birthday...looking forward to the more droolworthy posts!

It has been a pleasure meeting you. Catch up soon. Keep eating!

Adrian

Happy belated birthday, blog! I remember when you just started.... Ahhhh memories. Those dodgy look (but delicious) apple cupcakes that we made. lol

Congrats, Shell. xx

Hi Esz - Thank you babe =) Let me know how it goes!

Hi Velva - Thank you =) It sure tasted divine too!

Hi Trisha - Oh welcome then! Thank you =)

Hi A Girl Called E - Thank you very much =)

Hi Adrian - Thanks, nothing a nice scarf can't do ;) Don't worry, I'll keep on eating!

Hi Katie - Thanks! I had a bit of a chuckle remembering those apple cupcakes! But our red velvets were amazing!! xo

ahhhh happy belated blogiversary dude!

Hi ChocolateSuze - Thanks dude =)

Happy blog birthday! :) Ah, I wish I had a piece of that cake right now. Yum!

Congrats on reaching 2 years! I have just discovered your blog and love the mix between restaurant reviews and recipes!
-Jaz

Happy 2nd blogoversary - this is a terrific cake to celebrate with.

Hi Agnes - Thank you! Sorry, all gone!

Hi Jaz - Thanks! Very kind of you to say =)

Hi Cakelaw - Thank you! It sure was =)

All images and text is property of Iron Chef Shellie. These reviews are based on my opinions and experiences.
Permission must be granted before using any images or text from this website.

Feel free to contact me:
ironchefshellie [at] gmail [dot] com