spoon

Recent Recipes

Spicy Chicken Meatballs

16

Category : , , ,


It's the first meatballs of 2010!
As many of you may know, I have a meatball obsession. So when I was in the mood for meatballs just recently, I decided to pull Bill Granger off the shelf to see if he had the goods.


This recipe is a fantastic mid-week meal. I thought it was a little strange that there was no egg in the mixture to keep it all together. I also found it weird that I baked the meatballs instead of pan frying them. This in fact made it super easy as most of the recipe is just bunged in the oven, then finished off on the stove.

I added more pancetta than required, but no one complained. I would easily make these again.


Check out my new cookbook stand. It has a splash cover so I don't make a mess of my cookbook! Not bad for $20 from the General Trader!



Get your hands on:
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 teasponn ground coriander
1 red chilli, thinly sliced
500g (1 lb 2 oz) minced (ground) chicken
3 tablespoons fresh breadcrumbs
50g (1 3/4 oz) pancetta, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
Sea salt
500g (1 lb 2 oz) cherry tomatoes, halved
Freshly ground black pepper
125ml (4 fl oz / 1/2 cup) chicken stock

Serve it with:
500g (1 lb 2 oz) wholewheat fusilli, cooked
Parmesan shavings

1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F / Gas 6). Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring for 5 minutes, or until the onion is soft. Add the coriander and chilli and cook for 1 minute.

2. Put the chicken in a bowl with the breadcrumbs, pancetta, parsley and salt. Add the spiced onion and mix well with your hands. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to firm the mixture. Wet your hands with cold water to stop the mixture sticking and roll into small meatballs.

3. Put the cherry tomatoes on a baking tray lined with baking paper, drizzle with 1 tablspoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Put the meatballs on a second lined tray and drizzle with the remaining oil. Roast the tomatoes and meatballs in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the meatballs are golden and the tomatoes start to pucker.

4. Put the stock and tomatoes in a saucepan and add the the meatballs. Simmer for 5 mintues and season to taste before spooning over pasta and serving with parmesan shavings.

Serves 4.



16 comments:

I can totally vouch for these meatballs! Very tasty. I have done the opposite to you and forgotten to put the pancetta in and it was still good!

Love meatballs, esp with pasta! Meatballs freeze really well too =)

Looks a tasty cook-up Shellie, Luv meatballs also. But have never tried Chicken ones/ as yet. But this recipe is tempting. Will get Bazza to check out the Chicken Mince at our Fresh Chicken Shop.
Hugs,
Jeanne. :-)

So excited to find your blog, as I cooked this dish tonight as part of MY Cookbook Challenge - check out my blog at maggiedon.blogspot.com. In 2009, my challenge was to cook all the recipes in Nigel Slater's 'Kitchen Dairies', and this year, I have chosen 12 books and I'll cook a recipe a month from each book - 144 recipes in all. Bill Granger's 'Everyday' is one of them.

Yum - they look and sound fantastic, I'll definitely have to make them sometime. Thanks for posting the recipe :)

Looks delicious and healthy too.

I was beginning to get a little concerned for your wellbeing with the lack of meatball posts lately ;)

Firstly, I love that bowl that you have, it's so pretty! And gawd I'm a sucker for meat balls!

ah nice work. Yes, I also have a meatball obession. Everytime I eat Italian, I always ask if they have meatball spaggetti or pizza, regardless if on the menu of not!

We should start a new blog www.meatballaddicts.com.au

Very nice bookstand! I still have an old fashion one but haven't seen any modern like yours!

nice bookstand! my prob nowadays is that ive been cooking from recipes on blogs and i have no printer and my poor laptop is getting dirty haha

I too have a meatball obsession. Since the weather will be cool this wkend, I guess I will be making meatballs for dinner!
And I love the cookbook stand. But I use my lappie more.... oily lappie.

I certainly would not be complaining about the extra pancetta either. Yum. And maybe then get away with less salt when cooking.

I must try this. Chicken is a great alternative to red meat since lamb or beef is becoming so expensive these days.

Foo

Hi Jackie - Thanks! ah well, nice to know they are tasty without pancetta too!

Hi Mademoiselle Délicieuse - Me too! Ah yes, very true.

Hi Jeanne - Thanks! Hope Bazza does a good job of them!

Hi Maggiedon - Oh thanks!! Shall check out your blog for sure =)Sounds like a good challenge you are in!

Hi Bri - Thanks! No worries =D

Hi Conor - LOL! I didn't want people to think I only eat meatballs :P Glad you care enough for be concerned ;P

Hi Betty - Thanks, it's from Country Road, gotta love post xmas sales!

Hi Adrian - ahhh nice to know I'm not the only one :P I love the idea of that blog!

Hi Ellie - Thanks! I have a wire one, better for heavier books =)

Hi ChocolateSuze - Thanks!.. oh nos!! You need a splash proof cover for the lappy!

Hi Penny - lol, that's why I like to print things :P

Hi Foo - Ah so true, it's just as tasty too!

Hehe I was just saying to another blogger that I don't make chicken meatballs as much as I should as I love them. First meatballs of the year-that deserves a toast no? :D

Ooh they do look good! I'm also obsessed with meatballs at the moment, but more the big meaty German style ones (duh), hehe.

It looks like a nice comforting dinner. And even easier that it's made in the oven!

xox Sarah

Hi Lorraine - haha, what are the odds of that! A toast indeed!

Hi Sarah - oooo yum! Totally agree about the oven =)

All images and text is property of Iron Chef Shellie. These reviews are based on my opinions and experiences.
Permission must be granted before using any images or text from this website.

Feel free to contact me:
ironchefshellie [at] gmail [dot] com