spoon

Recent Recipes

Week 8: The Cookbook Challenge - Dulce De Leche Cupcakes

24

Category : , ,

Week 8
Theme: Sweet
Cookbook Used: Delicious - Quick Smart Cook
Author: Valli Little

You can't get much sweeter than condensed milk for sweet week can you? .... well I suppose you can if you add more sugar, but unless you want to lose a limb to diabetes, I suggest you don't. I mean two cans of sweetened condensed milk is more than enough.

I've always wanted to taste dulce de leche since I saw Chocolate Suze make it. I should have re-read her blog entry about not piercing holes in the top of the cans, as the water gets in. But anyways, it still looks like the right consistency, and tasted pretty damn sticky and sweet.
The only thing that put me off trying this recipe earlier was that I had to leave it on the stove for 3 hours. But I was busy in the kitchen doing other things, so I was able to monitor the water level for 3 hours quite easily.

And the taste?
The cupcakes were very light and fluffy, and the dulce de leche iced it nicely with it's creamy, caramely goodness. The dulce de leche doesn't taste like the traditional caramel, it is more creamy and perhaps not as sweet as some sugar loaded caramels.
Our conclusions: delicious!


Dulce De Leche Cupcakes

125g unsalted butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
3 eggs
2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
1/4 cup (60ml) milk
450g dulce de leche

Dulce de leche
2 x 395g cans sweetened condensed milk

1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a 12-hole muffin pan, or line with paper cases.

2. Using electric beaters, mix the butter, vanilla, sugar, eggs, flour and milk together on medium speed for 3 minutes until smooth and pale. Divide the batter among the muffin holes and bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.

3. Cool cupcakes slightly in pan, then turn out and place on a rack to cool completely.

4. Make dulce de leche: remove and discard labels from milk cans, then make 2 small holes in the top of each with a can opener. Place in a saucepan, opened-side up, and add enough water to almost cover cans. Bring to the boil, then adjust heat to a gentle simmer and cook for 3 hours, topping up with boiling water so it stays at the same level. Using an oven glove, carefully remove cans from water. Cool completely, then open cans and scoop the thick caramel out into a container.

5. Spread the cooled cakes with dulce de leche.

Makes 12.

24 comments:

I just got that cookbook yesterday and those cupcakes certainly caught my eye!! good work making the dulce de leche yourself! looks delicious

Ooh, I can just imagine how decadent these must taste! I read the ingredients and for a moment I thought the cupcakes had 165g sugar AND 450g ducle de leche inside them, as well as the dulche de leche on the top! I almost fainted just reading about that much sugar! :P

*drools* okay, maybe I'll go you halves in one?

Dulce de leche, oh yeah baby. I love the added level of excitement of making it when you don't pierce the cans.

These look worth the toothache.

loving this blog! just found you!

mmm i can go thru a can of dulce de leche in front of the telly haha my sugar levels are totally fine!

Nice cupcakes. The Dulce De Leche still looks good even though some water got in. I can eat this by the spoonful.

Your deliccccccicous cup-cake treats look very moreish Shellie, hope to taste some one day! BUT is a taste, enough ! I reckon when you've tasted them,it may end up a feast.
Hugs. Jeanne x :-)

Yeap. that is definitely sweet. but god, it looks freaking good!

Hi Imasugarjunkie - So much I want to make from that book! probably next week too! ;)

Hi Rilsta - haha, yes... well it was sweet week!

Hi Fiona - nah, no halvies!

Hi Conor - haha yes, exploding cans makes things a little more fun :P

Hi Faux Fuchsia - Thanks! I love yours, just found it too!

Hi Chocolate Suze - lol, you are one crazy girl!

Hi A Cupcake or Two - Thanks! I was predicting disaster!

Hi Jeanne - Sure thing! I've only had 1.5 and they were fantastic!

Wow! You certainly did the theme "sweet" justice and my teeth are hurting just looking at these...mmm. Love the cupcake papers too! Leigh

Well hard to believe - have made my dulce de leche, but now I need to finish the post. Just thought as dulce is Spanish for sweet it seemed so apt - obviously you did too.

The dulce de leche looks great. The cup cakes even better. Good work

Yes you can't go past a can of condensed milk for a real sweet hit! I feel so dumb now, I've actually had dulce de leche and I never ever realized it's made from condensed milk, always just assumed it's a 'kind-of caramel'! These cupcake are BEAUTIFUL, also where DO you get your wrappers from?? I need to go gift-buying for a cupcake-making junkie and I'm at a bit of a loose end!

They look delicious! Love the cupcake wrappers. :)

yummmm!
i saw NQN do hers in a pie dish in the oven... so i did it that way (i was scared of the boiling) and it worked a treat too.
love those wrappers too! robert gordon?

yum! the cupcakes look great - i just told my boyfriend about them and he is very excited to know such things exist!!

mmmm. the dulce de leche cupcakes looks PERFECT for any occasion. yum :)
looks like something that will melt in your melt. heh.
love anything creamy and caramel!

Hi Chit Chat Chomp - lol! Thanks =D

Hi Thermomixer - That is hard to believe! Thanks =D

Hi Vee - lol, I didn't know much about it till recently. The General Trader is where I got them from =) They are Robert Gordon.

Hi Agnes - Thanks! They are pretty cute =)

Hi A Girl Called E - Robert Gordon indeed =D well spotted!

Hi Jenny - Thanks! I hope he enjoys them if he ever gets to try them!

Hi Muffinsareuglycupcakes - Thanks! It certainly did melt in the mouth!

love the papercup u used for the cupcakes :) very pretty.. and the "dulce de leche" looks super yummy

Shellie, Looks so scrumptious. I love makeing dulce de leche and I've got a couple of cans left over. I'm going to make these for sure.

Yum yum yum! Am definitely having a go at making these. I've been in luuurve with dulce de leche since visiting a friend in Argentina. He got dulce de leche gelato delivered to the house! Someone here needs to start delivering ice-cream me thinks.
Great pics too x

these look divine !!

the first time i made dulce de leche i forgot abt topping up the water :s
but luckily they didnt boil dry (i think that would've been a disaster)

i made dulce de leche swirled brownies with them 0 didnt think to make cupcakes i thought the dulce de leche as a topping would be too sweet but what was i thinking- it'd make a gorgeous cupcake lols

thanks for sharing :O)

Hi Ms S Loveridge - Thanks =D

Hi Cherry Pie - Thanks! Hope they turn out as delicious as mine did!

Hi What's for tea? - Oh wow! That would be a treat!! Thanks =D

Hi Betty - Thanks! Oh no! I'm glad it worked out ok though! Those brownies sound divine!

Yum! I love this type of sweet made with caramelized condensed milk.

All images and text is property of Iron Chef Shellie. These reviews are based on my opinions and experiences.
Permission must be granted before using any images or text from this website.

Feel free to contact me:
ironchefshellie [at] gmail [dot] com