spoon

Recent Recipes

Perfect Italiano Cheese: Part 1

2

Category :

The awesome people at Perfect Italiano cheese sent me out quite a massive amount of ricotta and mozzarella to try out. I have been using their grated Parmesan for quite a while now, so I had no hesitations when they asked me if I wanted to try some of their other cheeses.


There is quite a few recipes on their website: http://www.perfectitaliano.com.au/Recipes.aspx?rd=1
Everything from breakfasts, lunches, dinners, snacks and even desserts!

The first thing I made was the "Mozzarella and Ricotta in Carozza". It is just basically a toasted sandwich with the ricotta and mozzarella.
The ricotta is deliciously creamy, something I would have never really thought to put in a toasted sandwich. The mozzarella gives a nice melted cheese throughout the sandwich. I didn't have any basil handy, but I'm sure it would have helped the overall taste.

Mozzarella and Ricotta in Carozza

8 slices sourdough or crusty Italian-style bread
250g Perfect Italiano Ricotta
250g block Perfect Italiano Mozzarella, sliced
100g thinly sliced smoked ham
2 ripe tomatoes, sliced
½ cup fresh basil leaves
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup milk
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
20g butter
Roasted cherry tomatoes, for serving

1. Spread bread generously with Ricotta. Sandwich pairs of bread slices together with Mozzarella, ham, tomato and basil.

2. Combine eggs, milk and black pepper in a shallow dish. Dip each sandwich in the egg mixture, draining off excess.

3. Melt butter in a non stick frypan. Cook each sandwich for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown. Serve warm with roasted cherry tomatoes.

Serves 4.

Second I tried the eggplant cannelloni. I have just started really liking eggplants, and I simply just love cannelloni so this was an easy choice to make.
It was really easy to make, and I used the left over mozzarella to top the cannellonis with when they baked. Mum complained it was too cheesy, but dad and I really enjoyed it. I'd have to say, I still prefer traditional pasta cannelloni to eggplant cannelloni, but that's just me.

Eggplant Cannelloni
2 large eggplants, cut lengthways into 1cm slices
40g butter, melted
200g thinly sliced prosciutto, cut in thirds
500g Perfect Italiano Ricotta Original
125g Perfect Italiano Shredded Parmesan
100g chopped baby spinach leaves
1 egg, lightly beaten
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 cups Italian tomato cooking sauce
250g Perfect Italiano Pizza Plus
Crisp salad and crusty bread, for serving

1. Brush eggplant with butter and cook under a hot grill or on a grill plate until golden and cooked.

2. Combine Ricotta, Parmesan, spinach, egg and seasonings. Top each eggplant slice with prosciutto. Place tablespoonfuls of cheese mixture along the narrow edge of the prosciutto and roll up to resemble cannelloni.

3. Place rolls in a buttered 25cm x 30cm baking dish. Pour tomato sauce over eggplant rolls and sprinkle with Pizza Plus. Bake at 180°C for 45-50 minutes or until cooked and golden. Serve with crisp salad and crusty bread.

Serves 4.

Voila! Bon Appétit!

2 comments:

Great haul! How many stories will you do with all that cheese? Looks like a lot! :o

Hi Lorraine,
I was planning on more stories but I think I got sick of cheese with all of that cooking. I still can't look at ricotta the same way!
x

All images and text is property of Iron Chef Shellie. These reviews are based on my opinions and experiences.
Permission must be granted before using any images or text from this website.

Feel free to contact me:
ironchefshellie [at] gmail [dot] com